Mr. Bulky's was my Favorite Store

Bite This: According to onlinenursingprograms.com, the average American consumes 3 pounds of sugar each week or 3,550 pounds in an entire lifetime (which means that I have exceeded that already if you do that math).

I did not always eat as healthily as I do now. This tofu- chia seed- flaxseed- pomegranate-brussels sprout-eating kinda gal has taken years to complete this transition.
I know it may hard for you to believe, but when I was a kid my favorite meal at every restaurant was chicken fingers and French fries. I went to TGI Fridays every year for my birthday because they had the best. My favorite breakfast was a good doughnut, and my favorite dinner was macaroni and cheese. I hated meat, hated fish and hated tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and beets.  Now I love sweet potatoes, tomatoes and beets. I love fish, love it. Meat is still... meh, in my opinion. My point is that even though I turned 30 merely days ago,  my taste finally evolved and I learned to love the foods I used to loathe. What helped this transition was learning that these foods help the body function efficiently, while sugar and fat depreciate the body's power.
However, there is one missing link the chain of my transition. Somehow the worst culprit nested into  my healthful taste buds and refused to relinquish. The one thing that I loved more than anything when I was younger? Candy. Mostly gummy candy, but, really I'd eat anything. I mean anything. (One Halloween I hid my candy in my closet and would not even allow my dad one piece. I was a selfish, impudent child, who really loved her candy.) I even told you that I used to study for nutrition exams while eating a box of hot tamales.  I also had a candy buffet at my wedding. A candy buffet at a dietitian's wedding.
The candy buffet at my wedding - Photography by Stacey Schmitz
So, how do you expect me to completely give that up? Expecting that much from me would be totally ludicrous.
BUT!, I am willing to make a change for a week. Purely for the entertainment of the people I paid to read my blog fans. (And I guess to improve my health. And also because it is almost swimsuit season.) This is big - I am writing this statement AS I am eating a piece of chocolate. ((Thank goodness this post is not about wine. -( I like to use parenthesis, which really means that I am tangential.)) I eat candy every day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Not a lot of it, but some form of sugar/candy every day. So starting today tomorrow I am going to attempt to make history. I am going to go all day without eating candy. If I make that last, I'll try 3 days without candy. If that lasts, I'll try 5. You are all holding me accountable. (Actually, because there are still less than 20 of you readers, I do not feel all that accountable.) Let's wait and see what happens - it's like watching a fish in a fish bowl year after year. (This is rather fitting as exactly one year ago from today I wrote a blog post about sugar - totally coincidental. You can read about here.)

What is one unhealthy food you eat that would be difficult for you to give up?

Sound bite: Think of one unhealthy food you eat frequently. Go on this journey with me.

Comments

  1. And I LOVED your candy bar. Delish. Now I want candy . . . thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts