It's not a Baton, It's a Glow Stick

Bite This: According to runningusa.org and the 2011 road race demographics, the average 5K race was 57% women and 43% men, and the average age for females was ~33 and ~34 for males.

There are all sorts of new fads for races nowadays - the "Color Run" has been very popular among the facebook crowd as well as the "Warrior Dash" obstacle course and many others. However,  I had never heard of the "Rave Run" prior to this past week.
My husband likes to spend most weekday evenings perusing the Groupon app on his phone. Recently, he came across one for a "Rave Run." I am not sure if it was the picture with the glow sticks or the fact that there will be a DJ playing techno, but one of the aforementioned prompted him to purchase the Groupon. He also took it upon himself to purchase one for me as a "gift."
The "Rave Run" is a 5K which includes "stunning lights and music and a wicked after party." The race starts at 9:00 pm on a Friday evening. I cannot even gather from the website whether it is indoors or out and how exactly they will have music and lights everywhere for 3.1 miles. Do we just run in circles?
Not only am I baffled by this race, but I am also baffled that my husband wants to run! In a race! Don't get me wrong, my husband exercises frequently, but he does not run. Until he bought this Groupon. I guess spending money on something sparked his motivation and he has been diligent about his running ever since. He has already improved his speed, and as men easily do, he's lost a few pounds. I am proud of him, but also humbled as it took me forever to run 3 miles when I first started out, and I certainly did not lose any weight.
I am quite intrigued with what this race entails and I, too, will start my training. Not necessarily on my running, but training my nerves. With all of the running I have done in the past, I have never actually competed in a road race. Competition makes me uneasy - in fact, in high school when I ran cross-country and track, I'd get so anxious before events that I would lay in the fetal position to ease my stomach cramps. So I quit. This will be my first race in 14 years. However, something about the "Rave Run" tells me that there will not be much competition involved. I mean, how can you even take running seriously when you have glow sticks in your hand? So, I am just going to go out there, "get my glow on and own the night."

You can get information about the race here.

Sound Bite: Check out some local races in your area. Who knows, you may find one that peaks your interest!

Comments

Popular Posts