Hooked.

 Bite This: There are a total of 433 5k runs in Kansas in 2014 and I ran in one of them! 
I am hooked. I know that I have mentioned before that I hate road races for running, and that I really don't like 5k ones.  But last weekend changed my mind...

I recently started running again and I am loving every minute of it. I am trying to slowly increase my pace and distance, without increasing it too much or too quickly to avoid injury, but it is difficult to do. I enjoy it so much and just want to run as far and as fast as I can. 
I have only been running about 3-4 miles at a time, until recently, and at a slower pace than what I used to run. This is mostly because I am out of shape with an added 8 pounds to my frame and have lost all of the endurance that I once had. When I started running again last month after a 2+ month break, I was only running about 2 miles at a time, so there has been progress! I have loved it so much that when I take a day off I get anxious to get back out there (or in there on a treadmill since it's a balmy 20 degrees here) and do it again.
Because of the excitement for running again, I persuaded a friend - who doesn’t run and hates to run - to run a 5k with me last weekend. (First I convinced my husband, and now one of my best friends. Maybe I should have been in sales? You should hear the pitch- it goes a little something like this, "hey I am thinking about running a 5k in 3 weeks, you want to do it with me?") It was a blast! My friend did great despite the fact that she hated me every minute of the 3.1 miles. She ran the whole thing, didn’t vomit (which were her two goals), and felt those endorphins post-race that made her crazy enough to say that she wants to run another one! With one stipulation - it's warmer than 50 degrees. I'll take it!

My point is that I am really diggin' these road races now. I just love to run and I am loving the new challenges that running has to offer. I am on my way towards my life goal - run, blog about it, and get paid. At least I have the running part down.

Sound Bite: If you're a runner and hate road races, try it a couple more times. You may just  fall in love.


Comments

  1. I have been running too, since about May. Mostly on a treadmill. I did four miles once & that was pushing it. More often I jog half that. I've never done a road race. What's a good finish time for 5k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Congratulations on starting to run! It's a great time.
    A good finish time for a 5k depends on your goals. If you're like my friend, she just wanted to run the whole time (not walk) and not vomit. The timing for that was about 10 minutes and 30 seconds per mile, so we finished in ~33 minutes. The fast people in the last 5K I ran, ran it in about 17 minutes 45 seconds or 5:42 per mile. I usually run it in about 25 minutes or about 8 minute miles. This is considered average for a 31 year old woman, which clearly you are not, so I'd aim to go faster than that if I were you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something local called the Turkey Trot (5k) here on Thanksgiving, crazy thought right now is to just show up & go for it!

    25mins sounds doable.. when I hit the treadmill I start at 7.5mph and bump it up to about 9.5mph by the end of 2miles.. I have pushed the distance and the speed a little, I think my 5k time would be real close to yours

    I can't imagine being in under 20mins I'd surely pass out, I think 23mins might be possible, I can get 2miles done in 15mins when I push it, but then that's without any incline

    I have heard that maxing out your heart rate (run as hard as you can til you feel endorphins, though not quite sprinting), then cool it down to normal pace & breathing, then repeat.. maybe 5 sets of that..I've heard this can be better.. as opposed to just running my tail off at the end of a good jog

    I think they call it interval training.. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to make sense from a cardio standpoint & could make for a welcome change of pace :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you would do just fine if you just showed up and went for it. Sounds fun!
    Interval training is great for building up speed and endurance. Whenever I am trying to amp up my speed, I run at my normal pace for 2 minutes, then faster (without going all out) for one minute and then repeat at least 3 times.
    Good luck on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I googled today to check out the turkey trot details & darn it the cutoff was Tuesday + No same day registration. Bummer..It's for a good cause (Utah food bank) and supposedly they're expecting 5200 people!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts