Mystery Food #5 Revealed!

Really, you're going to go with cauliflower? And, Digs, I cannot tell if you're actually guessing "cauliflower" or if you're looking at the other answer and saying, "Really? Cauliflower?!"
Because, in the latter case, Digs, you would be correct. Really, cauliflower?!?!

I just mentioned this exact food in a very recent post.


The mystery food is Brussels sprouts!!! 

I can see why you guessed cauliflower as it is a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts, but does cauliflower stink?

One of the major benefits of Brussels sprouts -along with other members of the cruciferous family- is that it contains indole-3-carbinol. This is produced by the breakdown of a substance that is largely in cruciferous vegetables.  This indole-3-carbinol  has largely been studied for it's benefit of potentially reducing the risk of certain cancers including lung, endometrial, colon, liver and cervix.
Brussels sprouts are also considered anti-inflammatory which reduces cardiac risk factors.

I love them. In fact, I am eating them tonight. Right now. Besides sometimes roasting them, I steam them in the microwave for about 4 minutes. (Although, I am starting to think that microwaves and seran wrap and all those cooking hazards may be negating the benefits of the vegetables I am steaming and eating.)

Until next time...

Comments

  1. Actually I hadn't seen Steve's answer... I thought I heard somewhere that cauliflower smells funny? I'm not sure, I don't eat it (often).. Brussels sprouts on the other hand: my culinary friend Greg moved in here not long after your visit last year.. he makes them about once a month, but usually w/ chopped bacon, some sort of oils, & a good dose of whiskey! probably not very health, but there are never any leftovers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to like brussel sprouts but I have only found them edible with bacon. What are some other good recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If you cannot make them taste good with bacon, you should not be eating them." Quote from a recent episode of Mike and Molly about brussels sprouts. The way that I have gotten my husband to eat them is by steaming them in the microwave and then immediately adding a little bit of shredded cheese so that it melts and garlic salt. Otherwise, there is a great salad recipe including brussels sprouts that I can give you...Bon appetit!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts