A Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Bite This: Ever pondered the difference between Asian-Pears and European-pears? I bet you do now. Asian variety pears are crispy and firm like an apple and the texture doesn't change much after harvest. European pears often become soft and juicy when ripe. A popular European pear is a Bartlett.

You may also now be wondering why the heck am I writing about pears. Well, because, I recently became the proud owner of 35 of them.
(That's not even half -in case you're counting.)


You may also wonder how I obtained 35 pears without a pear tree. I am a sucker for a little 4 year- old selling stuff for a fundraiser for his preschool. That's how. So now I am stuck with 35 pears. I've  eaten two today already.

In attempt to deplete my pear stash, I also made oatmeal pear cookies. They turned out to be more like oatmeal pear muffins, but, hey, now I am down two more pears.
Clearly not a photographer or food stylist.

Before you start to judge my actions of paying for overpriced fruit, at least I bought pears and not trash bags, girl scout cookies, or a tin filled with gallons of popcorn. Because you know what pears can provide for you?
In the spirit of Christmas, I'll carol it out for you.

On the 1st day of Christmas, my plentiful pears sent to me a digestive nutrient that's key! 
On the 2nd day of Christmas, my plentiful pears sent to me:
 2 amazing vitamins and a digestive nutrient that's key!
On the 3rd day of Christmas, my plentiful pears sent to me:
 3 antioxidant flavanoids, 2 amazing vitamins, and a digestive nutrient that's key! 
On the 4th day of Christmas, my plentiful pears sent to me:
 4 essential minerals, 3 antioxidant flavanoids, 2 amazing vitamins, and a digestive nutrient that's key! 

Okay, I am getting annoyed with this already so I am speculating that you are too. The point is that pears are a great source of fiber, vitamins K and C, phytochemicals beta-carotene, lutein, and zea-xanthin, and minerals folate, magnesium, potassium and copper. How about that?

So my oatmeal pear cookie-muffins are full of healthy nutrients and a ton of fiber to boot! I'll be leaving those tasty little treats out for Santa this year.
 
What is your favorite pear recipe?
 
Sound Bite: Post a comment or recipe for your favorite healthy holiday treat this week. 

Comments

Popular Posts