Life's Plans

(Side note: I found this gem of a post that I wrote a while ago....I guess I found it to be too cynical to post at that time, but I am going to do it anyway. New Year's post to come soon!)

Bite This: According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, men and women have 14 jobs by the time they are 40. The majority of these jobs occur at the beginning of their working lives when they are teenagers and early 20's. That seems like a lot.

I've been giving a lot of thought to my life plans. If you haven't noticed, I have a passion for health, nutrition and fitness and love talking, writing, and thinking about it. However, I get very frustrated in my profession. I can read a research study today that can be very promising about a food or nutrient, but another study can come out tomorrow that completely disputes the first one. So everything I blogged about last year may be different in 3 years. Talk about losing my credibility! So, you see, unless it's very concrete, it's really frustrating. So what I do know is this:

1. Fruits and vegetables are the most important part of your nutritional intake. The more you eat, the better off you are.
2. If you eat more calories than your body needs, you'll gain weight. If you eat fewer calories than what your body needs, you'll lose weight.
3. Fiber helps the digestive system - another reason to eat more fruits and vegetables.
4. Whole grains are more nutritional than processed grains.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids are also important for many reasons that I have mentioned before.
6. Exercise is the best medicine.

These things are tried and true and likely will not change, but many other as- we- know- them- to- be- true nutritional claims will change with the changing environment. And that's annoying.
I am also getting really frustrated with the fact that everyone thinks that they are a "nutritionist." Everyone wants to preach everything they know about diet and exercise but only go off what they read in magazines, or on the news or from Dr. Oz, and do not actually have sound evidence to back up what they're saying. And I really hate it when someone argues with me about what they read about a certain food or nutrient. (Seriously, do not argue with me about something I studied for 1/5 of my life. I'll admit when I don't know something, but if I do know it, I know it.) Which brings me to my life plans.
So I have this current life plan that may not pan out.  If that's the case, then my alternate life plan will consist of quitting my job, moving out of the Midwest, traveling, running marathons and blogging about it. I mean, really, blogging is just the way to go these days. You can work from home, give reviews (or just your general opinion) of stuff and get lots of free shit from companies to continue the cycle. Okay, maybe I am being a little facetious, but nevertheless that's my new plan. This blog that started out as a self-fulfilling prophecy to regain my passion for educating people about nutrition and health will turn into a narcissistic blog all about my fitness, health and running, and hopefully I'll get some free running kicks to review. Will you still read it?

How many jobs have you had in your lifetime?
What would you want to do for your alternate life plan?


Comments

Popular Posts