Hello? Is this thing on?

Bite This: 
I got nothing.

So, it's been well over a month since my last post. Have my 15 followers missed me? I guess I have taken a little break from blogging because I have been busy at work. No, that's a lame and not true excuse. Mostly because I am out of material. This blog was intended to be a question/answer type of thing - you ask the questions, I answer...or vice versa. However, my friends, you are not so interactive. My dad has been asking nutrition related questions and giving me ideas of what to write, but he cannot quite figure out how to become a follower (it's only taken him slightly over a year) so you do not get the benefit of the question part.
This reminds me of work in a way and that's not why I started this blog. I don't want to work and then come home and...work. See, for work I am on a conference call with 12 women. We discuss different topics, but if they do not have questions and do not interact, it's about one thousand times more difficult for me.
Having said that, my dad did mention something about how fat people live longer. Basically, just like the media, my dad likes to take one statement and run with it - mainly just to piss me off. He was referring to a recent article (I'm sure it was more places than this) in Time Magazine, "Being Overweight is Linked to Lower Risk of Mortality." It was based on research in the Journal of American Medical Association.  Basically, it was found that mortality rates were significantly lower in people with a BMI > 25 categorizing them as overweight compared with normal weight individuals. Mortality rates were still significantly higher in obese and morbidly obese. The point of the research? Not to depend too much on body mass index as an indicator for determining health risks. You also have to examine adipose tissue distribution, sex, age, race and fitness as BMI does not account for any of these. Like most articles, you have to dig a little deeper to get the right context. Kara, you can help me out with this! :)
Anyway, that's that. What else you got for me? Otherwise, it'll be another month and half before you see this face again.


Sound bite: I dare you to ask me a question on this blog this week.

Comments

  1. What are five things I should never eat again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides the fact that I love your Dad...and the way you write about him, and the fact I know you love him and show it by using humor about him the same way he would....I would like to cast my vote for the idea that being overweight is linked to lower mortality...at this point and at my age...that seems to be my only hope to live as long as my Mom has! But here is my question..since it doesn't seem to be true...where do I start making a change. What would you say the most important FIRST dietary change should be (please don't say cut out the wine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! Dad, you figured it out?!! And you figured out where to ask a question. Today is your day.
    John, 1. French fries 2. Doughnuts 3. Hot dogs 4. Twinkies 5. Chips and soda is an honorary one since its a beverage.
    Becky, I would never ever say cut out wine! In fact, wine is a staple in my book. But one of the best dietary changes would be to measure your portions. It's tedious, but if you do it enough, you can start to eyeball the portion sizes and it becomes easy. Unless you already do that. Then maybe look at my comment to John. And if you don't eat those foods, then I am out of ideas. :) (Not really.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your posts - DO NOT STOP!

    Here's the million dollar question we all want to know:
    What do I do to look like you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! First of all, don't tell them how much I paid you to say that. Second of all, you obviously have not seen me in a while! And third of all, I saw that recent picture of you on the beach. How do I look like you!?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts