Who needs hips anyway?

Bite This: The five most common running injuries are plantar fascitis, Achilles tendinitis, IT band syndrome, runner's knee and shin splints. I have none of those.

I did not mean to go rogue, but things have been busy and my inspiration has been sparse. However, because the aforementioned half marathon is now 3 weeks away (gasp!), I am inspired to write about it. So just sit back, relax, and join the party.
I have mentioned my recent injury a time or two and now it is time for an update. The day I left for a 10 day vacation I got up early to run. I got to the end of the street before I started limping. Pain shot through my thigh and all I could do was walk. That was when I left for vacation. Eleven days and zero exercise later, I was able to run 6 miles again. It was slow, I was out of shape, and I am sure I looked like I was about to die, but nonetheless, I got through 6 miles. Since then I have been able to cover a few more longer distances, but not without pain. I found a cure for it though - pop three Ibuprofen and mix with two cups of coffee. I am usually able to get through 3 miles before I feel pain now.
This morning I decided to test out how 7 miles would feel. I ran about 30 seconds slower per mile than my preinjury pace and was feeling good until mile 4. Mile 4 my right hip decided to say hi with an agonizing pain to my knee via one of the quad muscles. It lasted about 3 seconds and then the pain was bearable again. Mile 4.5 my left thigh decided to join the party with a dull ache up and down my quad. But I did it. I made it through mile 7. I may not be able to walk now for a couple of days, but I did it. Here's to hoping I can make it to 13 in 3 short weeks!

How do you recover from an injury?

Comments

Popular Posts