Gross Skin Issues

Bite This: Disclaimer for this post - Before you try any diet that cuts out an entire food group, you should actually be tested for any underlying issues. For example, in this post about anti-inflammatory foods, you could actually have your C-Reactive protein checked by your physician which tests for inflammation before doing anything drastic. Same with what I said about gluten-free diets - you should actually get tested for a gluten intolerance or allergy to see if that kind of diet is really necessary. Okay - on with the show!

Another way in which the body works in such a complex, amazing way is that your body informs you when something is up.
Inflammation is a normal reaction when your body is pissed and letting you know, "hey, something's wrong." Inflammatory processes help fight off infections, increase blood flow to places that need healing and generate pain so that you do not totally ignore that red swollen area on your body. Inflammation is good, however, too much inflammation can lead to chronic issues.
There have been a number of diseases, disorders and conditions that are  linked to inflammation processes including Alzheimer's, asthma, acne, food allergies, cancer, heart diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (hence the name), endometriosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and others. They can also all be linked together. For example, an inflammation process in the body like inflammatory bowel disease can cause acne as part of the reaction. So by reducing the inflammation in the bowel, it can help improve the skin.
So, I should theoretically know a ton about diet and inflammation as my whole thesis in my master's program was about the "Atopic March" and allergies and asthma in children in relation to the whole inflammation process. However, that was about 4 years ago now and a lot has happened since then. (Plus, once I finished that puppy, I vowed to forget everything that I had learned, and hoped to shove the remnants of the  whole thesis writing experience in the toilet.) So, I will just share with you what I do know about which foods can help fight inflammation in the body.
This tidbit of knowledge is stemming from my recent experience with an allergic reaction and inflammation in my own body. I am going to reveal something disgusting about myself - I have eczema. Yes, I know. But, that's my body's way of saying, "hey, I am allergic to SOMETHING, so quit using it!" Or perhaps it is a reaction to a food allergy. Either way, it makes me think - maybe I should start paying more attention to my diet and try to manipulate whatever is causing all of this inflammation in my body.
In previous posts, I have mentioned that this fat or this food or that mineral has "anti-inflammatory properties" - well this is what I am talking about.

These nutrients/foods include:
Omega - 3 fatty acids - walnuts, fish/fish oils,  flaxseeds, chia seeds
Antioxidants - dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, yellow/orange/red vegetables, onions, garlic
Spices - turmeric, ginger, rosemary

Foods that increase inflammation in the body and therefore you want to try to avoid include:
Simple sugars - candy, cakes, cookies, pies, white rice, white bread, etc.
Saturated Fats - butter, red meat
Processed foods

Some foods to avoid which may trigger reactions in some people include:
Dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc.
Wheat - triggers reactions/inflammation in those with Celiac's Disease
Eggs
Artificial colors, dyes

Other factors that can increase inflammation in the body include stress and physical activity (either lack of or an excessive amount).
And would you look at that?! An anti-inflammatory diet is ALSO a healthy, well -balanced diet. So, next time you have something funky going on with your body, think about your diet and see if there are any changes that you can make that may flip things around. I truly believe that foods heal. I wouldn't be a dietitian if I did not believe that.

Sound Bite: Take note of any fatigue, achy joints, skin flare-ups, stomach issues, etc and check out what you have been eating recently. If your diet has been poor, fix that, and see if it helps.

Comments

Popular Posts