Time Out

Bite This: According to the American Institute of Stress, 1 in 5 Americans experience "extreme stress" - shaking, heart palpitations, and depression. Not only that, but work stress causes 10% of strokes.
source

Sometimes in life you just need a time out. A time to collect your thoughts, a time to let go of stress, and a time to just do nothing. We live in a society that is always go, go, go, and we rarely take time for ourselves to sit back and do nothing. However, I think I've mastered that this weekend and now I am back feeling refreshed and happier.

This weekend consisted of a "mental health day" off from work which turned out to be a fabulous idea. Exercise this weekend was laid back - long walk with the dog and a quick gym sesh (first time for ever writing that word and I must say...it feels wrong) and an entire day off from any kind of exercise. Friday and Saturday night both alcohol-free and still a great time. There may have even been a dance party or two. This morning on the agenda is a manicure - only the 4th one of my lifetime. All of this unwinding did cause me to get a slight cold, but overall, it feels good.

My point is, take a moment for yourself. Enjoy your own company, do your own thing, and unwind. Take a breath and enjoy the moment.

I've spent so much time writing about how to improve the body through nutrition and exercise, but one important component of that is improving the mind. This helps.

Stay tuned for more.

Sound bite: Take your own mental health day, or at least take 10 minutes/day for yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts