This time, baby, I'll be Bulletproof

Bite This: If you like butter and you like coffee, then you'll love this!

My bedtime is 9:30 pm. One of the reasons why I am in bed at 9:30 pm is that by going to sleep early, it's like a time travel portal to the time I can eat again. I also look forward to my morning cup of coffee. It's one of my most favorite things about the morning. In fact, some weekends I get out of bed at 7:30 am just because I get excited about coffee. And I don't even like the taste.

I recently read about "bulletproof coffee" in a Running magazine. That very same day my brother text me to see if I've tried it because he did and he loved it. This past weekend my mother-in-law raved about it and made a cup for herself.

If you've never heard of this coffee, here it is - it's 2 cups of high grade coffee, 2 tablespoons of butter from grass-fed cows plus 1-2 tablespoons medium-chain triglyceride oil mixed in a blender until smooth. To me this concoction sounds absolutely disgusting, but apparently it cuts the bitterness of coffee and adds some great smoothness to it.  I don't like the taste of coffee and I never eat butter, so what is the benefit for someone like me to drink this coffee as opposed to my normal cup mixed with almond milk?

This coffee is said to promote weight loss, improve energy, and help stay focused. However, I am pretty skeptical. Although, grass-fed butter is high in omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid, which are both beneficial for the body and the brain, there are lots of other ways to get these nutrients in your diet besides butter.  Plus, I can totally picture people making this coffee with regular butter instead of grass-fed, which wouldn't add any benefit.  Why don't you just add flaxseeds to your morning Greek yogurt and drink your normal cup of coffee? You'll get the omega-3's, plus fiber, and antioxidants from the flaxseeds, and protein and a bit of carbohydrates from the yogurt to give you an energy boost.

I also don't like how this is being called, "healthy" cup of coffee. Butter is still butter and 2 tablespoons of it every morning (or sometimes more) may not necessarily be healthy. As far as promoting weight loss? I'd like to see the evidence as this cup of coffee contains 440+ calories! If you're replacing your breakfast with this cup of joe, you could be missing out on a ton more nutrients and antioxidants, as noted with the yogurt/flaxseed example. What would this coffee do to your cholesterol? That amount of saturated fat can increase one's LDL (bad) cholesterol. And the people I know who drink this coffee do not have an otherwise healthy diet, so, really, this coffee is not adding any benefit and could be causing more harm.

Just some things to think about if you're contemplating on trying this coffee.

Have you tried bulletproof coffee? What do you think about it?

Sound bite: Stick to an avocado and egg on whole wheat toast for breakfast and get the benefits of the good fats, protein, and fiber. 

Comments

Popular Posts