The Inevitable.

Bite This: According to Running USA, since 2003 the half marathon has been the fastest growing road race distance in the United States and for 7 years in a row, there has been a 10%  or more increase each year in the number of finishers. Cool, huh?

The inevitable happened. I signed up for my first half marathon. *Gasp!* I always said I would do it then lost my nerve - "who wants to wake up on a Saturday at 5 am to run?" "why do I want to deal with that kind of parking, traffic, and massive crowd at 7 am on a Saturday to run?" "who wants to run 13 + miles? On a Saturday? At 7 am?" (Believe or not, I really am a morning person - even on Saturdays.) Anyway, it was bound to happen someday. Having said that, I have not actually run  that half marathon yet. A lot can happen between now and October 19th.
So, it's training time. I printed off a training schedule and everything. Today's task: 3-4 miles hills, slow. Did I do that? Not even close. I did 1 1/2 miles on the treadmill's hill program before I said, "screw this!" and ran another 4 miles on zero percent incline. Zero. Luckily this half marathon is a "relatively flat course" because I am pretty sure I'll die. Okay "die" is a bit of an exaggeration, but I might pass out briefly.
Source
What I am saying is that this is kind of a big deal for me. It's like mohagany book shelves.  Maybe it does not sound like much to all of you who already run half marathons and full marathons and 50k trail runs, but it is a big deal to me. The fact that I am finally doing something that I always said I would do.
You'll be hearing about my training journey along the way as part of my training accountability. So just deal with it.
The greatest part about the 1/2 marathon? It's the weekend before I leave for Maui for my brother's wedding. I'll just think about that for two hours while dying a little bit inside each mile. Or I can just think about it this way, as my brother so profoundly stated, "Oh, so you're just going to do what you do every day anyway?"

What cool new thing have you signed up for or done lately?

Sound bite: Sign up for something you've never done before. Sky diving, hot air balloon riding, half marathons, nudist camps...whatever.

Comments

Popular Posts