Half marathons? Nahhh, let's do half that.



Hey there, it's been a while, per usual. Let's not make this a thing. I write when I want since only my dad will read it and he probably already knows the story. But in case you are someone other than my dad, I will recap. My friend and I were training for this virtual half marathon after she broke her back. After 8 weeks of training, we were scheduled to run 10 miles. We decided instead of doing that all over again, let's just go for the 13 so we feel like we earned that medal that we got, but didn't actually do the race. So we woke up early picked a trail and ran out 6.5 miles. We came to hill and decided to turn back around before we had to go up it. When we got done with that 6.5 miles, we still had a bit to go before hitting the 13.1, so we basically ran in circles. The important thing to note is that we did it. We said we would, and we did. and placed 1st and second. 
That inspired us to run more - no more half marathons for a while, but maybe a couple of 10ks. I went on my first family vacation in April and had signed up for a 10K the day after we returned. That was dumb, but I was committed. You'd think I would then be inspired to run at least once on my vacation, but no, I was not. Instead, I rested on the beach with a drink in my hand. The day I returned home, I at least drank some water. Woke up the next morning and "B" and I got an early start to the race. We were the first ones there. Didn't realize it was a little known race. We sat in the car (did not do any warm ups) for 30 minutes, and got ready to run. There were maybe 100 people there and most were doing the 5K race. The course was small - 1.5 miles out and back, which meant we did that twice plus a little loopty loop. We didn't realize it was uphill both ways.  But we did it and had fun and got free doughnuts. As an added bonus, and because I had just turned 40 and she's 39, we both got first women in our age divisions. To be fair, there were only 3 women total in mine. 
Anyway, this is a thing now. We were not very motivated over this summer to train, so we did our usual 3-4 miles a couple of times per week, but we are looking for that next 10K! And you'll hear about it, I am sure. Or at least my dad will. 

Sound bite: Do something crazy that takes some training and then do it again. Life's too short. 

Comments

Popular Posts