Blog? What blog?

Bite This: One night of sleep deprivation can alter our genes. I am going on six months.

These posts are way too few and far between. I even missed posting about National Nutrition Month in March this year! And I missed National Registered Dietitian's Day...again. What kind of dietitian am I? What kind of health blog is this? I even almost forgot about my birthday. I should get my priorities in order, I suppose.

It's already April, can you believe it? What better time than now to get outdoors and start planting! I have posted previously on my gardening experience (or lack of experience), but GMOE and I are trying once more to grow our own organic vegetables this year.

The weather turned warm about a month ago, and then it snowed, and then it got warm again, and then it froze...The Midwest is not an ideal place for growing a garden. You never know what you're going to get. Having said that,we ended up planting mixed greens, peppers, and something else (we forgot to label again) around St. Patrick's day. We planted them in pots that we're keeping on our deck with hopes to transplant them to our garden once it's ready. That way, we also look like we know what we're doing to our gardening neighbors when we already have plants growing.
So far the lettuce is making remarkable strides, but the peppers and the mystery vegetable have not sprouted yet.

Things I learned from my lack of experience last year - label everything (already slacking on this one), stick to only a few different plants, and give them plenty of room to grow. No squash this year - we had too many squash bugs last year that ruined them. And likely no cucumber either. All of the cucumber from last year was bitter. I heard it was because the watering was not consistent, in other words, we had too much rain.

I can already tell that things are looking up for us this year. We are well on our way to having the most bountiful garden you ever did see. And if not, at least we gave it another shot. I will be sure to post some pics. For now, here's one from last year.

Our first garden. We forgot to label the plants. Not even sure if that yellow fence thing is around a tomato plant. 



What do you have growing in your garden?


Sound bite: Try planting something this season, even if it's an herb sprouting in your windowsill.


Comments

Popular Posts