Are you a trypanophobe?

Bite This: Trypanophobia is the fear of needles and affects an estimated 10% of Americans. 

Why am I talking about needles? Okay, I am not really talking about needles per se, but acupuncture. Why am I talking about acupuncture? I know that it is not food or exercise, but acupuncture affects the wellness of the whole being, which kind of goes with the theme of this thing, right? If you don't agree, let's discuss over a glass of wine sometime, eh?
Acupuncture is used as an integrative therapy for many conditions such as pain, inflammation, cancer related side effects, infertility, and so on. It is used in Traditional Chinese medicine as a way to get the body into balance through energy flow - finding the chi, if you will. 
Research has shown acupuncture to be effective in treating many pain-related conditions, asthma, and other chronic illnesses. A licensed practitioner has a consult with you, maps out the needle placement in your body, and works his/her magic to restore the energy and balance throughout your body.  Small thin needles are inserted in particular places throughout the body in order to increase blood flow and natural painkillers. 
A little skeptical? I was too, but  I bought a Groupon for it and got a great deal! I had my consultation and went back a week later for the actual procedure. The needles were placed mostly in my feet and hands and one in my forehead. At first I felt a numbing sensation in my feet, which really bothered me, but then I relaxed and let the needles do their thing. I had just dozed off when the practitioner came back into the room. I thought I was cured, until she took out her planner and said that in order to really help me, I had to come back twice a week for 8 weeks, and then once a week for 8 weeks. (My body was really out of sync!) I never went back because my Groupon was only good for that one visit, but I admit that it was totally worth it, if not for the cure, at least for the relaxation. I have a friend who sees an acupuncturist almost weekly and her testimonial is enough for me to give it another shot if the western medicine doesn't help. 
Practice yoga, see an acupuncturist, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, maintain a healthy body weight, and you won't need to worry about a thing until you're old and die from nothing. But you're probably ready to go by then anyway. 


Have you had acupuncture? Do you recommend it? 

Sound Bite: Sometime in this life time try acupuncture. Even if the only reason is because you bought a Groupon. 

Comments

Popular Posts