Trying Something New

Bite This: The South Atlantic has the highest participation rate for trail running.

I love it when I discover something new about myself. After 31 years, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I do and what I don't like, but I guess I never really know unless I try it. Today I tried trail running - real trail running- and I love it.
I had the morning to myself. The weather was perfect running weather - mid 60's with an overcast. There is a hiking trail near by circling a lake that from the looks of it just went straight up (the trail, not the lake). Yesterday I thought to myself that there was no way I was going to try running that thing. However, after 5 miles of running around neighborhoods, I got bored, so I decided to conquer that trail. What ensued was pure bliss. I was smiling like a goof the whole way around the lake.
Trail running provides spectacular views that you don't see from running around neighborhoods, or even paved park/biking trails. It provides a different type of challenge and even though it's still running, I discovered some new muscles that I don't normally use running on sidewalks, pavement, and treadmills. The terrain is all over the place forcing me to really focus so that I don't sprain anything, which in turn, makes the miles fly by. I stopped a couple of times to snap some pictures because it was just too hard to let it pass me by.
I  think I may be on to something. I once thought trail runners were crazy, but I get it now. And I love it.
I just need to go find some more trails.
My point is...keep an open mind. Continue to try new things. You may just discover that what you thought would kick your ass and would be the last thing you'd try, is the very thing that you love.

Sound Bite: Try something new this week. (Stay off drugs. :))

Comments

  1. I remember you ran trail briefly in Utah, you seemed to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts