These are a few of my favorite things...

Wine. Sushi. Running. Some days in that order. Some days not.

How do these things affect the body? I've mentioned how beneficial wine can be for your health, as well as running, but how about sushi?

Sashimi is actually the raw fish, whereas sushi can be a raw fish mix with vinegared rice. I like 'em both. As long as you choose a sushi roll without fried tuna, salmon, crab or lobster, without cream cheese and without spicy mayo, it can generally be a low calorie meal. (Not quite as tasty, but still good.) Not only is it low calorie, but it is an excellent source of those great omega-3 fatty acids I keep mentioning. Omega-3 fatty acids help lower cardiovascular risks factors by lowering blood pressure, thinning blood, and lowering heart rate.  Omega-3's also help reduce inflammation in the body.
A type of omega-3 fatty acid found in fish is DHA which is especially important during pregnancy. DHA helps fetal visual and brain development which is why you are unlikely to find a prenatal vitamin these days that does not contain DHA.

Other vital nutrients found in fish:
Vitamin D - often difficult to get an adequate amount of vitamin D because it is not in an abundant of foods. Vitamin D is vital for bone health, and may have protection against certain types of cancer. Low levels of vitamin D have also been linked to a host of other diseases including depression, dementia, and Multiple Sclerosis.

Selenium - a powerful antioxidant.

Protein - mentioned this a few times, but protein is a necessity in the diet. It is a building block for many functions of the human body.

People often question the benefits vs the risk of eating fish. Mercury is often a concern when it comes to eating fish especially for pregnant women.  However, the mercury content in most fish is relatively low and when eaten in moderation, the consumption and exposure remains low.  Try to choose wild fish versus farm-raised, and if pregnant, avoid large fatty fish such as shark, king mackerel, or tile fish because they contain higher levels of mercury.  So, yes, the benefits derived from eating fish outweigh the risks, especially during pregnancy. Eating fish every day may not be the best decision, but 2-3 times per week would provide outstanding health benefits. (Umm, again with the moderation!) Which is mainly why GMOE and I go out for sushi every weekend. Literally. Also the reason why I eat tuna for lunch at least one time per week - my dementia is not because lack of fish in the diet, that's for sure.

How often  do you eat fish? What's your favorite?

My favorite sushi rolls are the salmon roll (literally just salmon, rice and seaweed) and the rainbow roll. Yum. (Side note - Before I met GMOE, I thought I hated sushi and refused to try it until he made me. I also hated wine. So when I fell in love with GMOE, I also fell in love with sushi and wine. Crazy how things turn out.)

Sound bite: Try to eat at least two servings of fish this week. I suggest sushi.

Comments

Popular Posts