There is a Time and Place for British Accents

Bite This: Artificial food dye found in most processed foods in the US is banned in other countries such as Norway, Finland, Austria, France and the UK.

GMOE and I recently traveled to London to visit some good friends of ours and family. Of course I was impressed with all of the antiquities the country had to offer, but I was also impressed with the food. It was not necessarily the quality or taste; in fact, GMOE thought that fish and chips would be the best thing he ever tasted. If not that, then it would at least be good, because, well, it's fried. But he was not blown away. So, really, it's not that the food tasted great, but what astonished me was that it was REAL food. I read the ingredients in most of the pre-packaged food that we bought, and not once did I see that something was made with artificial flavoring or dyes. It was amazing!
The other inspiring food observation was that my friend has adopted a wonderful way to feed her 1 and 3 -year -old. She feeds them real food. Her philosophy, "They eat what we eat. Why would I make two dinners?" Those kids were very well-fed with meals consisting of organic meats, vegetables and all kinds of fruit grown in their own orchard. They had the most versatile palates for such little people. It was brilliant. Even her one-year-old who had two teeth gnawed on food until it dissolved enough for him to swallow. But her one-year-old has never had artificial dyes, flavoring or sweeteners.
You know what artificial dyes do? Well, I am not exactly sure besides most likely causing certain types of cancer (because, really, what doesn't?),  but I'll leave it up to your imagination - artificial dyes are made from chemicals such as petroleum. Petroleum is used to make gasoline, tar, and asphalt. Think about that the next time you eat Froot Loops, drink Mountain Dew, or munch on favorite comfort foods such as macaroni and cheese. Artificial dyes and flavorings are also linked to hyperactivity in children. It would be interesting to see if US children are more hyperactive than children in the UK, France, Finland, Austria or Norway. Something tells me they are. My friend's one-year-old was as chill as a 70's flower child.
Anyway, just something to think about.

Sound Bite: Look at the ingredient list in the food you eat tomorrow and see if it contains artificial dyes and flavors. I bet it does. Look at the food you feed your child - does it contain the same?

Comments

Popular Posts