Change your Mind, Change your Body

Bite This: Billions of dollars are spent every year on diet and weight loss products, yet over half of US adults are overweight or obese.

Last night I watched an online worldwide premier of Hungry for Change. It's a profound documentary about the function and purpose of food for nourishing the body. It describes exactly the reason why I started this blog. It captures the passion that I have for nutrition and health but says it much more eloquently than I ever could.
This documentary breaks down the information in terms that people can relate to. The people in this film come from a place and a life consumed by excess food and they compare this addiction to food like an addiction to nicotene or other harmful substances. In quite simple terms, ingesting processed foods is like ingesting alcohol, nicotene or other drugs - it is a toxin to the body. Your body becomes addicted and just like that you are sucked into a downward spiral. They also state quite simply that what we eat these days is not food at all - it looks like food, may smell like food, but in reality it is filled with chemicals, dyes and other substances that our ancestors never ate because it was not around.
We're eating ourselves to death and for no reason at all. Eating right is common sense, its just that the majority of people choose not to do it (this is why I am so frustrated with my profession at times). On many levels, you can choose to be healthy, you can choose to be lean and you can choose what you put in your mouth. It is infuriating to me when I hear people say, "Oh, this is genetic...I cannot lose weight if I try...I cannot lower my cholesterol...I cannot..." YES YOU CAN! As this inspiring film also notes, for most people the food you eat is the only thing in your life that you CAN control.
Anyway, maybe this documentary will not inspire you or reach out to you like it did for me, but it was enough for me to want to dust off the ol' juicer and start juicing again. It never hurts to get more vegetables in your diet. At least I have never heard anyone say, "man, I really wish I had not eaten those carrots today."

Sound bite: I challenge you to watch a documentary such as this one. My other favorites include Food Matters and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Comments

Popular Posts