Not Another Food Blog

According to the Center for Disease Control, 62% of Americans are overweight or obese.  Up to 50 percent of women are on a diet at any given time, according to Judy Mahle Lutter in her book The Bodywise Woman. Up to 90 percent of teenagers diet regularly, and up to 50 percent of younger kids have tried a diet at some point. Therefore, you can appreciate my frustration being a dietitian in a nation that is obsessed with dieting and healthy eating, yet has the highest rates of obesity.
I lost my passion and direction for nutrition and dietetics. No one cares about the "why". Having gone through a rigorous curriculum of microbiology, organic chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, only to come out on the other side into the “real world” just to tell people “do not eat this [crap] eat that [crap] instead” is not only infuriating, it completely desecrates my understanding about nutrition.
The entire reason I became a dietitian is because I find the human body to be a fascinating, complex mechanism. There are 10 major organ systems in the human body and for all of these systems to function appropriately, they need fuel. Food and water is a basic human need and nutrients obtained through food and water is all it takes for our bodies to operate. To understand how something so simple can fuel something so complex is captivating to me. And yet, many of us live to eat instead of eat to live.
Do not misunderstand me. I enjoy eating just as much as the next person and I find nothing wrong in making food a center of social gatherings. I just think that when you comprehend why you eat the food you eat, it makes you appreciate the fare in a completely unique way. And when you appreciate the food you eat, you tend to eat healthily and with purpose.
To be honest, I am not sure where this blog will take us, but it is a place where we can recognize the purpose of food and nutrition. I'll tell you what I know, you ask questions about what you want to know, and we'll have a party!

Comments

Popular Posts