All things Easter (except maybe the true meaning)

Oops! Celebrated too much and forgot to post this on Easter!

Bite This: Ever wonder why eggs and bunnies symbolize Easter? It was once believed that a rabbit was an hermaphrodite and therefore could conceive without losing its virginity. (Still not sure how that would be possible, but I'll take it.) So the rabbit was then associated with the Virgin Mary. Eggs were also symbols of fertility (for obvious reasons) and since birds lay eggs and rabbits have large litters in the early spring, these became symbols for renewed fertility of the Earth at the March equinox. And then became associated with Easter.

When you think of Easter, what type of food comes to mind? Chocolate bunnies? Peeps? Cadbury Eggs?
I have already talked about the wonderful benefits of eggs  for Easter, so let's talk about the benefits of chocolate this Easter!
source
I mentioned chocolate in my previous post and how good the flavanoids are for you. Fruits and vegetables also contain flavanoids as they help protect plants from environmental toxins; ergo chocolate is just as good for you as fruits and vegetables! I am only joking, of course.
Flavanols are the main type of flavanoid found in cocoa and chocolate. Flavanols have antioxidant power protecting our bodies from free radical damage. This is also what potentially helps our vascular health. Research has shown that flavanols can help lower blood pressure, improve blood flow to the brain and heart, and help with blood clotting.
The down side to this is that you should not choose just any old chocolate. Chocolate can be highly processed, so in order to get the most flavanols, you want to choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate and cocoa powder that has not undergone Dutch processing.
Ever notice how natural cocoa can be bitter instead of sweet? That's the flavanols! The more chocolate is processed, the sweeter it is!
So on this Easter, eat chocolate! (In moderation, of course).
You know what else has flavanols besides fruits, vegetables, and chocolate? Wine!

Sound Bite: If you do not eat dark chocolate, try >75% dark this week.

Comments

  1. I love the chocolate posts. Feel free to post some healthy chocolate recipes! ;0) Also, I remember you said a few weeks back you got a FitBit. Do you like it? I want to hear more about it because I don't understand what they do or how they work. I could google it, but I would love your thoughts if it's worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's only taken me two weeks to get back to you. I do like the Fitbit! It's just a fun way to measure how active or inactive you are throughout the day. At first it made me want to get in as many steps as possible, but now when I get in 4,000 a day, I think, "well, better luck tomorrow. "
    Basically it just measures your steps, and the intensity of your activity. It also tells you how many stairs you've climbed, and how far you've walked. If you're not sure about it, I'd suggest the FitBit Zip. It is less expensive but just as cool.
    My mother-in-law has one, so we have competitions of who can get in the most steps per week. She's winning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts